Sunday, January 11, 2009

CHILDREN!



For the last year Jamie and I have had the calling of Sunday School teacher to the 14-15 year olds. We have really enjoyed spending time with the kids and Jamie is an amazing teacher to the youth. Really he did most of the teaching, and they love him! Today after church we were asked to meet with the Bishop (we all know what that means... A new calling) So I nervously waited to hear what new adventure was heading our way. Jamie and I have been called to teach CTR 6! That is the primary children age 6. I was a little taken back and was not expecting that at all, I dont think Jamie was eaither, but we of course accepted. Afterwards Jamie and I were talking, about it, and I was really struggling with the fact that we were really bonding with the youth class,and that I wouldnt be part of the relief society anymore ( Just as I was starting to find my place). I think Jamie is a little worried to be put in charge of little children and how to go about teaching them,( His great tacktet of bringing treats and pacing the class room isnt exactly on the level of 6 year olds) But tonight President Monson spoke at the CES Fireside, and we watched it on t.v. Anyway Part of president Monsons talk focused on the importants of being prepared, and that once the time of action has come, the time of preparation is long past. During his talk it really hit me that I think the lord put this calling in our path as a way to prepare, prepare for our future children. It almost seemed like the obviouse reason, but as the prophet spoke I felt the comfirmation that this was truly part if not all of the reason. To teach us how to teach and become parents.
I have realized that I am actually really excited about this new calling. Jamies area of expertise was teaching the youth! He is amazing at it and really knows how to connect with them, I think I could really do well teaching the younger children and interacting on their level, much the same way jamie is able to connect with the youth! We will have to see but as much as we will miss the children we teach now, I think the new change is truely inspired!

4 comments:

Zoey said...

Congratulations, Jamie and Stephanie! I completely agree with you that the new calling truly comes at an important time in your relationship and life together. Soon you will be on the adventure towards parenthood and what better way to prepare yourself for that than to watch over other people's kids? Plus, there's the added bonus that you don't have to take them home with you and you just get a taste of what's to come rather than the whole mouthful. ;0)

I don't doubt you two will find your niche teaching this new age group just as you found working with the youth. Just as you said, perhaps YOU will get a chance to shine just as bright with the children as Jamie was able to with the youth. Good luck!!

Emily said...

It seems that as soon as you start getting comfy in your calling, you're called to do something different. I’m sure you’ll do great with the little kids. The good thing about teaching kids is that you don’t have to fight for their love... they love you from day one, no matter what! Congratulations!
P.S. I can totally see Jamie pacing the floor while teaching the youth. I'm sure he was great and that the teens loved you both!

Stephen and Kristen said...

You both will be wonderful primary teachers. That's Bella's class (well, her class last year) so at least you know one six-year-old and know how to talk and relate with her. I believe you are right...this is an inspired calling and will help lead you to parenthood. We can't wait for your little "Midnights" to come along! But in the meantime, enjoy spending two hours a week with the kids then sending them back to their parents while you go home to your quiet house for a Sunday nap!!! p.s. my hint: be patient! They'll have shorter attention spans and you'll have to make your lessons shorter and include some activities to keep their interest!

Sami Dara said...

Ryan and I use to teach the sunbeams and then the CTR 5. It was difficult at first but we really learned to love those kids. We always played LOTS of games and colored a lot. One time in our sunbeam class we were talking about pioneers and the kids were beyond crazy. We felt like they weren't learning anything. But as we were walking down the hall to the bathroom one of the kids looked at the wall and said, "that's a picture of a handcart." We realized they were actually paying attention although they are rowdy like kids should be! Congrats on you new calling!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm so glad you guys have one too! I'll be adding you to my list!!